Follow Me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Drugstore Foundation Review

Drugstore Foundation Routine




Drugstore Foundation Review

I love the drugstore and drugstore makeup.  College students generally don't have a ton of money to spend on luxuries other than food and alcohol and I am definitely no exception.  I would love to go out and buy a high end foundation, but I have to make a choice every month between spending $40 on a new Laura Mercier Foundation or eating, and I almost always chose eating.

I definitely don't have a favorite foundation and I generally change it up every couple of months. Since the summer I've tried the Revlon Photo Ready, Maybelline FitMe, Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse and L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundations. Some work for me and some I definitely will not use again.



Let's start with the Revlon Photo Ready Foundation.  I heard really great things about this foundation and had been dying to try it for months but I couldn't justify spending $13 on a foundation when I knew there were perfectly fine alternatives for half the cost (starving college student remember). But one day I decided to live a little and try this product out. 

I don't know if I just built this up in my head or not but I was totally underwhelmed by this foundation.  I felt like it looked very cakey on my skin and didn't leave a very natural finish.  I was also thrown off by the shimmery finish that this foundation leaves.  There is literally shimmer in the formula which is not at all flattering on me.  I have large pores and I like to hide them as best as I can, but this foundation brought them out made my skin look blotchy and kind of gross.

I tried this foundation out for about a month and just couldn't find a way to like it. It didn't stay on my skin very long which was a major disappointment and I felt like I looked worse in photos than I did before. I started to look washed out and blotchy and I found myself overcompensating with my bronzer in order to try to bring some life to my face.  Overall this foundation was a total let down and waste of money.

Now onto the Maybelline FitMe Foundation.  I've used this foundation for a while and I generally don't have a ton of complaints about it.  For some reason I always buy this in the summer when my skin is darker and I have no use for it in the winter so I move onto another brand.

I like the fact that the FitMe comes in a huge variety of shades and color and that you do get a lot of product for the cost. It doesn't however, come with a pump which is kind of frustrating because I don't like the germs and mess that can come with a pump-less foundation.

The FitMe definitely has a dewy finish which can be a little unflattering at times.  I use to never have a real problem with any oiliness, but lately my skin has been leaning more on the slick side so this foundation doesn't really work with me anymore. It does however blend really nicely and if you have more normal skin then using a setting powder should be enough to handle the dewyness.  The FitMe didn't have a ton of staying power and I usually have to touch it up a couple times a day which can be annoying. Overall it's a decent product if you don't mind a dewy finish and if you have normal or dry skin.

Lately I've been using the L'Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation and I really like it.  It works a million times better than the Revlon in that it brightens my face without making my pores look gigantic. It gives you a medium amount of coverage but it is definitely buildable without looking cakey.  

It definitely doesn't stay completely on throughout the day but it is longer lasting than any foundation I've tried recently.  It gives almost a dewy/satin finish but it isn't overpowering on my combination oily skin.  I use a setting powder with this and I usually have to use a blotting paper once throughout the day but it's nothing to extreme. 

I feel like this give my face a nice glow to it without it looking unflattering or making my skin look bad.

As for the Maybelline Dream Liquid Mouse, I used this for a little bit up until I got the L'Oreal Lumi.  I'm still on the fence with this foundation. It blends really well, has a pump and gives good coverage.  However, it doesn't stay on all day and comes off within a couple of hours and it makes my skin look very oily. I think this foundation caused me to breakout more than I usually do, which I rarely do to begin with.

I still use this with my Garnier BB Cream if I need some extra coverage but I prefer my L'Oreal foundation for day to day and I don't think I will repurchase it when I run out.

My favorite out of these 4 is the L'Oreal True Match Lumi. This will probably stay as a constant in my makeup arsenal.  I'm always experimenting with different products and I will keep you posted on what I try out next!

No comments:

Post a Comment